18 Aug 2022
If your business sells things directly to humans (“business-to-customer” or “B2C” sales model), you might not use Salesforce’s Lead object, instead making everyone a Contact, except for a brief pass through “Web-to-Lead” form handlers that you otherwise ignore the data from.
Ideally, you’d want to keep all of that clutter in Lead out of your Pardot Prospects – but how?
If you’re on a version of Pardot that lets you set Marketing Data Sharing Rules, then you can use this simple trick to ensure that no Lead record ever makes its way out of Salesforce and into your Pardot Business Unit’s list of Prospects:
- Make sure that your Pardot connector to Salesforce is paused.
- In the Marketing Data Sharing Criteria panel, click the drop-down arrow to the far right of “Lead” and click “Edit.”
- Change the radio options from “Use default connector settings” to “Use explicit criteria.”
- Set Field to “
- Set Operator to “
- Set Value to “
- Click Save
- Un-pause your Pardot connector to Salesforce.
All OwnerID records point to Salesforce users, which are 18-character pieces of text that always start with “
005,” not the letter “
Therefore, you have now just made it so that no Salesforce Lead record will ever become a Pardot Prospect record.
Other posts about Pardot Marketing Data Sharing Rules
- Part 1 - Block all Pardot syncing with Marketing Data Sharing Rules
- Part 2 - This Article
- Part 3 - Pardot Opportunities need Contact Roles to sync
- Part 4 - Formula Fields work fine for Pardot Marketing Data Sharing Rules
- Part 5 - Save button missing in Pardot Marketing Data Sharing Rules